Monday, June 4, 2007

June 3/4: Back on the horse

Something worth mentioning: at some point in the near future I'm going to get back into working on my graphic novel project. I don't know why this keeps happening; I spend maybe 3 weeks to a month working on it, get bitter and lose confidence, consider quitting, do random stuff for a couple weeks, and then get right back into working on the book (repeat ad nauseam). Maybe the book is more taxing on me than I think, maybe I start to overthink things after a while (maybe it takes me exactly 3 weeks of thinking about things before I over-think it; maybe that's my limit on thinking about something); I dunno, but it's starting to become a pattern.

Whatever, as long as I'm still working on it, I guess. Anyway, I made a post a little while back that made the book's outlook pretty bleak, so I figured I'd at least post my thoughts on it now if anyone (for some reason or another) was worried that I was calling it quits. I'm not.

Side reading: if you'd like to get a better glimpse into this weird cycle of self-doubt and almost calling it quits, check out the short comic "Two Questions" by Linda Barry, which can be found in The Best American Comics 2006 or McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #13. I don't know if you can find it online or not, but I know it's in those two anthologies I just mentioned. It's a great little comic, and one that's definitely changed my thinking on comics and the creation of comics. It easily made Linda Barry one of my favorite artists.

Later!

No comments: